Tuesday, August 02, 2011

Catching Up With The Past

Written March 29, 2011


Today I had lunch with an old friend from High School.  I hadn’t realized how much time had passed since we graduated until we started talking about all that had happened over the past 8 years since we had seen each other.  It’s crazy, I had never really thought about it, but 8 years is a long time.  My niece is 8 years old - old school friends of mine have children her age – it kind of blows my mind to think about!


It’s been a really long time since I actually spent time talking with an old friend.  You want them to be the exact same person that you had slumber parties with and took dance class with!  You don’t expect them to talk about hard times and misfortunes.  The same goes for friends’ younger siblings.  It’s crazy to see them graduate, go to college, and get married.  I want them to stay the same little ten-year-old that we used to play tricks on and hide from.  I hadn’t thought much about younger siblings until I started to tell old friends that my sister is turning 21 in the near future – the look on their face and the shock in their voice really got me thinking about how much time really has flown by.


When does it come to the point where old friends start to change and look different – almost to the point where you have to stop and ask yourself “is that really them”?  I feel like I, along with most everyone I run into, still look the same as we did 10 years ago.  Some old friends have kids.  Many are pregnant.  There are a few divorces.  But truthfully, I don’t think I have run into anyone that has really shocked me in whom they have grown into.


A lot of us have grown into more womanly figures, and some of the boys have grown a little around the waist.  But when does it get to the point where you pass an old friend in the store and hardly recognize them (good or bad)?  Maybe others are experiencing this, and I am still just blinded by the image of the person that I use to walk down the school hall with.


I think about my mom and how when she runs into an old classmate she tells me “I went to school with them”.  Before now, I had always wondered “how in the world does she recognize them after so many years”?  I guess our bodies and our stories may change, but I think most of us are still the child that our parents raised…  And I hardly ever forget a face – no matter how many years have been added to it.


The past is funny to me.  I feel like the perception of time has really changed since I got out into the “real world”.  When you are younger, it seems to take FOREVER for Christmas, Spring Break, and Summer to arrive!  Now those times come and go without me ever really thinking about them.  I still look forward to holidays and different celebrations, but it all still feels different.  I think I am enjoying life as a whole so much more, and I am not so focused on the bits and pieces!


I am not in a huge hurry for things to happen… well some things I am, but it’s not all as traumatic as it was at a younger age.  It’s nice growing up!  I have really enjoyed looking back and laughing at myself.  I feel like, at 26, I am finally getting to stop and smell the roses


Hurray for growing up and becoming the person God meant for me to be!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment